donderdag 1 juli 2010

BDZG on 8th

Bad dice short preview of the 8th edition of warhammer


 

Well it's almost here the 8th edition of warhammer fantasy. Personly I can't help but think that this new edition will have the same major impact as the change between 4th and 5th . Seeing how everything is getting redone. Form the movement to the combat phase and even the bonuses a command group provides to your unit. Having only been able to have a quick peek at the new rules I can't really say anything final about them yet, but I'll share a few of my thoughts whit you below.


 

The movement Phase.

Finely wheeling is dead. And good riddance. While wheeling was one of the most historically (or practically) correct rules in warhammer, nobody did this right. I have literally only ever played against like 3 persons that wheeled correctly. Most players used the system that is now the rules any way so it's fine whit me.

Random charge ranges: Well I don't really know if I like this rule yet. On the positive side it finally fixes some of the imbalance between cavalry and infantry, by the fact that the difference in max charge range between two units is now only the difference in their movement and not twice the difference (ok that is one weird sentence). On the negative side it introduces more randomness into already pretty random game.

The magic Phase.

Magic gets powered down and up at the same time. First of spells get harder to cast but you get more bang for your buck. The best thing about the new system is that you are no longer required to bring a lot of wizards just for magic defense. Since the amount of magic dice is now random and the max difference between power dice and dispel dice is now 6. You can expect to block some of the incoming magic even if you just brought a single wizard. Sadly the system yet again makes the game more random. But I like it better than the old one cause it had more style and glamour to it and that's what magic should be about .

The shooting phase.

O boy. Well the new shooting rules make a lot more practical sense now. Archers in the good old dark ages did not line up single file to fire their arrows so why did mine have to. The extra rank of shooting means I can get the same amount of fire power into les space and that is great. So shooting should be more effective. On the other side even dwarfs can now charge you gunline form 12 inch or more with a little luck. So there is generally going to be les shooting.

Like wheeling a other thing that I will not miss is guessing ranges. Not that I was bad at it but it always seemed a bit weird to me that the general was ranging in the artillery .What the hell did I hire that engineer for than? Also the very unsporting business of over guessing is now a thing of the past.


 

The combat phase.

Well so much has changed here that I can't even put it into word in on blog. I guess ill do a special one about it when I get my rule book next week. Save to say rank and file units are now back in a big way. There are so many advantages given to having a lot of ranks (or even a lot of file) that you really want to bring some good old infantry again. This gets my personal thumbs up cause I always hated the dominance of heavy cavalry in warhammer. (wel ever since I stopped playing Bretonnia anyway)

My predictions

Well here we go my predictions for what armies will go up in power level and what armies will go down.

+++dwarfs (more tread range for charges, high ld and great warmachines makes dwars the big winner for me

++ empire (the detachment rules seem to be made to fuck the opponent over whit the new rules)

+ Orcs and goblins (well they may still not be that great but they gain a lot in the new rules)

+ogre kingdoms ( the new monster infantry rules are a blessing from the great maw)

- Warriors of Chaos ( not that these will get bad but they suffer a bit by all infantry getting better)

-- Deamons ( well now you'll just have to use something else than 75% characters have you)

--- vampire counts ( for a army that realies both on magic and characters to get the jobs done the future does not look to bright and the changes to fear are both good and very very bad for them)

All in all it think the new edition will require a little les math skills a little more luck and a lot more tactical flexibility

Well I hope you liked the blog this time.

Greets Bad Dice Zappgrot.

  • Tought of the day – Change is a force of entropy and must be met whit a closed mind


 

    

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten