dinsdag 16 november 2010

Getting into the fluff

Hmm ok so maybe that title is a bit suspect but hey at least it’s a title. Lately I have been playing in a campaign at the local game store. The campaign starts you out whit just 250 points to spent on your forces and only a HQ and a troops slot to do so on. Even more annoying you only get to buy a single upgrade for each unit. The concept is that you need to play your games well to earn extra slots for units en extra changes to upgrade your army. I do think the no upgrade clause is a bit lame seeing how modern armies come whit their charters in full gear, and older armies need to upgrade all their charters for scratch. Apart from that I am havening lots of fun. The campaign awards your troops exp that you can use to upgrade you troops Most of these upgrades are fairly crap except the vehicle ones, those are overpowered like hell1. But since you can’t use vehicles yet it’s hard to care.

But those exp upgrades are not what makes the campaign fun for me. It’s getting a sense of story that does it for me . I try to write small stories that are kind of like a battle report after each battle. This gives me the feeling that my army is really on a quest during this campaign a quest for a SCT apparently. Well at least that’ s the campaigns narrative. But that ‘s not what I feel my army is interested in. My army is there to engage in honourless combat whit my foes, killing and murdering them by using every dirty trick in the book. I am using my alpha legion for this one. And as we all know all the alpha legion is interested in is proving that they are the best space marine legion ever created. I really like the alpha legion, the whole outsmart your foes and them beat them into bloody pulp theme really attracts me. I always find that force should be applied whit smarts not just brawl. You won’t find me playing world eaters that’s for sure2.

Now I have been working on upgrading the look of my chaos forces. The point being to try and make them as offending as possible to put of my opponent. Alpha legion never being to shy to fuck whit their enemies heads. I have also been creating some new models like my new chaos lord Neaad3.

Lord Neaad is dressed in power armour sutible for all your marine killing ocasions


Ultra marines? Lord Neaad says : Just say no!!!!

While I was doing that I made a discovery about my self. I found the reason why i like playing warhammer. Now if you would have asked me what my motivation to play was two days ago my answer would be thus. I like the gaming aspect of it: the challenge of overcoming the opponent the thrill of the fight and i would have been a fucking liar. I mean if all I wanted was a good game I could have been playing magic. Where I don’t need to paint hundreds of little men. Or even better chess where there is no luck involved in the game and every victory if achieved by skill alone. Now while I did like magic I suck at chess. And I don’t care about either any more.

The cold hard fact is that I do like playing whit little men. While I am painting a new model I see it move in full motion in my minds eye. Stabbing and shooting it’s enemies. I even have to confirm the fact that when I am alone in my room where no one can see. I make pew pew noises running around whit my stormraven pretending it’s strafing my orks. Sad but true.

Any way that’s why I am enjoying the campaign so much it’s a chance to build some new units for my alpha legion and really get a feeling for the fluff of my army. Crafting a story of my army’s rise to power, or fall from grace whatever may be the case.

1: Maybe that’s because the guy writing the rules plays imperial gaurd.

2: although I do use khorne berserkers they are just to good to pass up WRAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH

3: Yes that’s a reference to Daan seeing how he beat me at the GT by his name alone.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten